October 21, 2011

A Serendipitous Leaf

The current state of my Sewing Table
I've been working on my Brown Turtles in the Green Grass.  My friend Vicki called it my Earth Turtles and I thought that sounded good.  So far I have two of the three vertical rows appliqued to, and stitched on.  The quilt is 99.5" long at this point so needless to say I'm not adding any horizontal rows.  Here's what it looks like when I clean up before leaving a project for the day (something I rarely bother to do).

What do you think of that leaf?  Personally I love it.  It will be at the centermost point of the quilt, the one and only.  It was taken from this last scrap of fabric.  In a moment of pure serendipity,  I saw the leaf was in that bit of scrap waiting to get out.  After digging through pictures I found the perfect model a Red Oak leaf.  The veins of the model were yellow and I just happen to have a lovely buttercream yellow which I will use for the detailing.
Can you see the leaf?
DD is off for a nice long three day weekend so I don't know when I will get back to this quilt but hopefully it will be soon as over the past couple of days working on it has been a real treat.

4 comments:

Belinda said...

That is going to be spectacular! Can't wait to see it finished.

Caren Kristine said...

WOW! The leaf looks real! Great job.
Hope you like the book, I did.

Vicki said...

This is going to be one spectacular quilt and the red oak leaf is incredibly realistic. Great Job!!!

QuiltSue said...

Your leaf looks absolutely real. Perfect fabric for it.