April 11, 2010

Gift from Heaven Quilt Back 2

A week or three ago I saw on Gwen's blog a quilt back that made me stop and think.  It was indeed scrappy and inspired me to consider doing the same, you can see the back I'm talking about by clicking here.  She tells me those are 12" blocks, but yet it reminded me of my box of squares.   The ones I cut out for Jessica's baby clothes quilt

Most of you wont know this but I spent three months cutting up Jessica's baby clothes and making them into 3.5" squares.  Yes three months.  I had FOUR 13-gallon kitchen trash bags full of her baby clothes stashed away, or was it five?  That's how I was able to not only make one quilt, but an entire second top to boot. 

Now that top has been waiting for me to get off my duff and figure out some sort of back so I can get started on the quilting.  After all quilts like these long to be FINISHED!
So today I got out that banished box of squares and started counting.  I have 760 of the afore mentioned squares, and to think I've made at least 3 baby blankets using those fabrics since I worked on the Blessings from Heaven Quilts! (Talk about overkill!)

To piece the entire full size quilt back I would need...  Are you ready for this?  900 squares to make the entire back pieced from the leftover squares, I knew there had to be another answer and here's what I came up with.
This layout uses a mere 512 of those 3.5" squares.  For the center I have selected a newborn picture of Jessica, which I will have custom printed after I jazz around with it a bit in Illustrator.  I think I will adjust two different pictures and have them both printed so that I can select the one I like best.  Does it make you want to go sew or simply wish me luck?












Lady Bird and her Gentleman-bird stopped by for dinner, so I snapped a couple of photos. Not the one of Lady Bird with her crest up like I wanted, but maybe next time.

4 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

I am so impressed that you can still stand to look at those squares after all this time. The back looks great. Where are yo having it printed? Spoonflower again? Have you heard anything about fabric fading issues?

QuiltSue said...

I'll certainly wish you good luck!

Vicki said...

WOW that is ambitious for a back but it certainly will look great and it's one way to use up the rest of your squares.

Heather Landry said...

Oh wow! That's a seriously intricate plan for the back of the quilt. I'm sure it's going to look wonderful!