June 23, 2011

Tropical Waves Backing Borders

I've been working on the back for Tropical Waves this afternoon, and I thought I'd show you where I'm stopping today.  I'm really not sure about that Amy Butler Fabric at the top and bottom, but I think it will flow better after I have another border or two on.  Currently the back is 42.5" x 81.25" and ideally I need it to be 59"x98" to give me a 2" comfort zone around the outside of my already made Tropical Waves Top, I don't know about you but I'm feeling like a child's book saying "How many borders will it take?  1, 2, 3, 4... over and over.

In the mean time I thought I'd photograph a picture of my "tidy mess" so you can see I'm not crazy and I have to say if you think it's a real mess, I could certainly show you a mess or two.  Mess what mess?  That's how quilts grow isn't it?

3 comments:

Vicki said...

I'm not sure about the AMy Butler fabric either and I will tell you why. When I look at the back and disregard the top and bottom strips, the rest of the back actually to some extent reminds me of a stained glass window. It has the vibrancy of Tiffant glass and I think what gives the illusion of it being stained glass is both the pieced diamond sections as well as the streaked teal batik reminds me of some of the more interesting coloured glass that they work with.

stitchinpenny said...

I am not sure why the Amy Butler fabric bothers you, but I think the whole back is gorgeous. Since you have an idea of what the finished product should look like, I suggest you test drive some other options. If nothing else works then you will know. If something else is perfect - go for it. Your instincts are great.

QuiltSue said...

Your blocks made me think of some gorgeous stained glass. If you're not happy now with the other fabric, I'd take it out cos you'll probably never be happy with it.

My word verification is "choosing" which seems rather appropriate somehow!