June 09, 2011

Not a good day!

I'm so happy to tell you I've figured out the border for my Children of the Sea Quilt.  This will be a 9 inch border which will bring the quilt up to a 70"x90", a generous twin sized quilt.  I have 6 blue fabrics selected ranging from medium to light tones which I will cut gentle curves into and then piece them together in a loose artistic interpretation of the gentle movement of the ocean echoing the still waters in the panel.

I know exactly how I need to cut and sew the fabric, but I didn't sleep well last night and my leg is protesting my every thought.  I call this feeling the snake in my veins because I feel I have little control over my tongue much less how I'm feeling.  Right now it's akin to feeling like my blood is boiling.  While this pain is never welcome, I'm rather furious about it right now.  Why?  Because these curves are a new technique for me and I would never dare to quilt anything, much less a new technique feeling like this.  I pushed through it one single time when I first started quilting and then I hated everything I'd done while I'd been in pain so I had to rip it all out again.

So while I dearly want to get back to sewing, today is clearly becoming a forced day of rest.  It's times like these that I am reminded of my Snake and Meerkat Quilt.  Since starting that quilt my bad days have been less and less.   Wouldn't it be nice to pretend that when it's finished the pain will simply go away and stay away?

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm so sorry you are in pain. I think it is admirable that you have tried to work through it but sometimes I guess it just doesn't work.

QuiltSue said...

Sorry you're having a bad day. Perhaps it's you body's way of making you stop and take stock of wherre you are on the quilt? Wave-y borders sound great. I hope you feel better by the time you read this.

Belinda said...

What is the cause of your pain? I understand, because sometimes the arthritis gets so bad in my hands, I wonder how much longer I can do hand work. But like you, I work through it and am so glad when I'm finished.

Your Children of the Sea is awesome. Blue is my favorite color, so it's especially nice in my opinion! And since I visited the beach this summer (the first time in 18 years) I'm really into beachy things right now. LOL!