Her new dress though is sleeveless, which is a bit of a "no no" for her school's dress code. What to do, what to do? Clearly I bought the dress, I knew it would be a problem, but I figured it was so pretty it didn't matter as I'd figure out something.
Sure enough something hit, ironically a neighbor's niece is getting married this spring. My neighbor was having a go at making a capelet for one of the girls. What a pretty little capelet it turned out to be too! Nice fabric and a beautiful drape. I didn't make the connection right away, but when I did I started looking for girls free capelet patterns. My friend Vicki found this one. Which I love, but it's a bit more of a coat than I was looking for so instead of swinging my circle at 18" instead I checked some of DD's dresses and decided to swing instead at 10". I left off the collar and instead sewed and flipped like a pillow. Then I top stitched and added a button.
Perhaps I should say I added two buttons back to back so that it can be on the pink side or the white side. The first time I did this (sewing through one button into another) I made it to tight and I could hear the chorus of "the button is to tight" so I cut them off and started again. This time to ensure I had the space I actually buttoned the button and kept it that way while I sewed through the two buttons - one on each side. That worked well and I will keep this method in mind for future projects.
This is a super easy project, I think it took between half an hour to an hour, and I had to iron some very wrinkled fabric. I like the coat part of the pattern too so maybe I'll make a version that way some other time.