December 28, 2011

Christmas Cakes & A Chihuly Kiss

We have a great many birthdays around my house this time of year.  I was the cake maker for two of them. Below my sister shows off with her butterfly cake that had whipped topping for frosting and Funfetti cake mix inside.
My next cake is a black forest cake for my husband.  It is my once a year cake.  Once a year I make it for him.  He never asks me to so it's a good thing I know how much he likes it.  Normally it has a lot more cherries on the top, I must have gone overboard on the lower layers.  Already DD is asking for one for her birthday, I think I can arrange that.
Christmas was good to us.  You can always tell how good Christmas is in a house with a little girl because it looks like the Pink Barbie Isle exploded all over your house.  Silly me, I forgot that I needed to clear out some toys in order to make room for new ones.  So guess what?  When DD's daddy asked her to pick up the living room she brought everything into the sewing room!  LOL.
I love a good surprise at Christmas time.  As a mom it's nice to know that people are thinking of you without having to say a word.  So perhaps the most surprising of all of my gifts was this one from my sister.  It is called a Chihuly Kiss, which my sister picked out for me when she visited our new Dale Chihuly Museum.  Isn't it lovely?  The shape, form, and movement are quite inspiring don't you think?  I haven't found a home for this yet but you can be sure it will be somewhere good.

2 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

love the Chihuly kiss - I was first really exposed to his work in the lobby of the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas. His color concept is amazing. What a special gift for you.

Vicki said...

I also love the work of Chihuly and have seen a few of his installations on some vacations. His work is amazing. Your kiss is very special and it's amazing how it captures the sunlight. It looks like you are the master baker around you place, the cakes look divine.