May 05, 2008

The Development of a Quilt...

So it's Monday already? Wow, I feel like blinking the sunshine out of my eyes in surprise. Let's see here...

Cats My mom is sort of seriously looking for a new kitten. At first I was surprised, but the bottom line is that we all grieve differently and how we choose to deal with it is part of what makes us who we are. She has found a delightful little girl rather a long ways away. I'm to the point now where I feel like writing the check and mom can figure out how to get her home. Trust me she's a doll.

Shopping As for shopping the Disney sundress I wanted is out of stock in my size. Wisely I got out the tape me measure and low and behold I actually guessed my size wrong, so I can get the smaller size that is still in stock, nice perk hu? DH is going to order it and the matching sundress for Jessica when he gets home later this after noon. Also on the order is a new Minnie Swimsuit for Jessica, we'll have to have one our vacation later this year. Me? Oh well I figured I can take in a pinch on each side of my old suit that never did fit right.

Sewing I sewed and sewed yesterday. Well not really. As you know I've been cutting more fabric. It's all cut btw! Yippie! Nice little squares for me. So that gave me more of the applique fabric squares that I was using for the practice nine patch. So I took all of those and laid them out which gave me another 8 patchwork blocks, that are completed, for a total of 12 blocks. This has been making me crazy because that's not really enough to get a quilt out of, a wall hanging perhaps. SOOOOOoooo! After much thought and effort, I will be using my fabric of the month club stuff to make long cabin squares (assuming of course it will look good that way) which will be combined with my nine patch blocks to form a BORDER around a 27" block. On there I will be embroidering a bunny and hearts from a quilt from my childhood.

The fabric I will be using for the large middle block is vintage salvaged from an old set of cradle bumper pads, formerly mine of course. Don't worry I'll be posting photos for you as I work on it. Currently the vintage fabric is soaking in vinegar because I pulled a huge stupid three years when I seam ripped the stuff. I very very dumbly suck the fabric in my old wood bookcase headboard, thinking "away from sunlight good, put away good, away from getting messed up WRONG, the stain from the wood even though it was stained at least a decade ago LEACHED into the fabric making it look all dark and dingy, gross. So like I said it's soaking and hopefully will come out.

My dd received a birthday party invite from her cousin for the day she is supposed to go to there house while mom, my sister, and I got to the Preforming Arts Center. She is so excited about she has been hauling the invite around for about a week!

Tomorrow my hubby is off to go help my mom with her toilet, this will be oh I think the third week he has done something with her toilets. All I can say it's it's a good thing at least one of us has a husband to share around fix it duties, or is that doody? hehe

3 comments:

Sand and Sunshine said...

Yippie! The stains came out! I soaked the fabric nearly all day. After a few hours you could FEEL the oils in the vinegar, trust me it was nasty. Then I hand washed the fabric with dawn dish soap and it dried just fine. Granted I wouldn't put it together with a brand new off the mill reproduction, but that was never my point in the first place. :)

Heather Landry said...

I want you to know... it's all your fault that I have the sewing bug. I bought a pattern to make the girls some sundresses. If that goes well... well we'll see. LOL

Sand and Sunshine said...

LOL! At least your putting that sewing machine to good use. DH was suppose to buy me a halter Mickey Mouse sundress, but we never seemed to get it together at the right times and now they're sold out, so I too have been thinking about making a sundress or two, but they would of course be for me.