March 25, 2012

Hawaiian Ocean Quilt Back Completed

Well now the last time we talked, I was just beginning to think about how to put the quilt back together for my Hawaiian Ocean Applique Quilt and now here it is all done.  The back is 67.5" x 109" so instead of having a border around my pieced center, the quilt will just flow off the edges.  With a bit of centering I think it will look quite good, giving a glass bottom boat effect.

Now I'm all ready for quilting, well almost, I ordered some larger needles in titanium that I will be trying for the first time together with a thicker thread than I normally give the Janome 1600P, those are all set to arrive on Tuesday and then it will be time to quilt, quilt, quilt.

When I finished the top of this quilt I set two goals; one for DH and one for myself.  My goal was to piece this back and have it ready before the machine quilting needles arrived and the goal for DH was to extend the Inspira quilt frame from it's little size the way we had it for Christmas to the larger size that I prefer.  I think he was waiting to see if I made my own goal before starting his.  Isn't it nice to finish something when you plan to?

Now for the quilting I'm going to quilt this one sideways so that it goes on the uptake roller more slowly and my throat space wont shrink as fast, hence why I need the frame extended.  As a bonus this quilt doesn't have borders on the top nor the bottom so I will not need to turn it when I'm finished.  You can scroll down to the previous post or click here to see the completed top.

This will mean my quilt status is back to right where I like it.  With one quilt on the quilt frame and one quilt at my domestic sewing machine.  Are you wondering which quilt is going to be on the sewing machine?  It's the Lone Star Glows!  I ran into some trouble with the fabric which I will go into later and I'm really looking forward to getting back into the swing of working on that quilt.

3 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

Love the back. Reversible quilt! I just bought some titanium needles from Superior to try.

QuiltSue said...

I've never used titanium needles ans so I'll be really interested to hear what you think of them.

Vicki said...

I love the dolphin fabric and I like how you made the back with the large blocks and sashing. It is a nice alternative to using the fabric all on its own or just adding a couple of different strips down the side or one in the middle.