May 09, 2010

Buckeye Beauty Finished!

Yippie!  Today I finished up the Buckeye Beauty.  This quilt should nearly be called a firsts quilt as it is both my first raw edge applique and my first attempts at freemotion quilting.  It is quilted 1/4"-1/2" over the entire course of the quilt with the sole exception being the borders, which have tulips quilted on them leaving areas puffy with gaps more like 1"-2.5".  It is not an all over pattern as most of my readers already know, and instead it is quilted to show off the pin wheels and appliques.  This quilt feels like the quilts my grandmother had at her house that she would always pull out when I visited.

The black fabric I had leftover was more than enough to bind the quilt, and adds just the right touch.  I'm so glad I saved it back.  So what do you think?

5 comments:

Vicki said...

Great job Elizabeth, the quilt looks amazing. I love that it is reversable, the 2 sides are very different and yet they compliment each other and the binding works for both sides. Congratulations!

stitchinpenny said...

The quilt looks great! Congratulations on all of your firsts.

QuiltSue said...

"The First" looks great, you must be very happy with it.

Heather Landry said...

I think it looks absolutely amazing! Completely beautiful quilt Liz!

MaksiTaksi said...

Gosh this is absolutely awesome! Its look really great for your "first"!

Take care.