March 14, 2010

Spinning Flowers - Raw Edge

I've been struggling with how I'd like to quilt the offsetting blocks on the Buckeye Beauty Quilt ever since the trouble with my attempts to freemotion quilt through the paper resulted in broken threads. Well yesterday I stumbled on the answer. Appliqué. Could I truly happily appliqué on a quilt that is already being quilted? Shock of shock it’s not a problem at all, in fact it has worked beautifully. I used a glue stick to hold the pieces in place and then touched the iron to the appliqué pieces setting them while trying the glue, and then I quilted right over them through the quilt with a dark purple thread. This resulted in the entire flower including the veins of the petals showing on the reverse.  
I really like how this gentle touch of the fabrics from the front really brought the colors of the quilt together, uniting both sides. What do you think? As I still have a bit more quilting left to do, I'm really looking forward to discovering what other whispers this quilt will give me.
The free applique pattern can be found here.  I increased the size when I printed out the pieces by 150% to ensure the flower would fill my 10" offset block and I smoothed out the interior curve to allow the spin to appear more natural.  Last but not least I made my own circle templates, as by the time I'd scaled up the originals they needed reformed.  Wink--> The lid to my glue stick was perfect.

4 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

I go on a break and you blog like crazy. I love everything you are working on, but must admit I am really in awe of the Hawaiian quilt. Glad to see that you are happily stitching away.

QuiltSue said...

What a clever solution. It looks really pretty.

Aunt Spicy said...

Oh, the colors of this quilt are great, your right, the colors really pop!

Heather Landry said...

Oh WOW! It's coming together so nicely!