March 21, 2010

National Quilting Day Follow Up

I was blogging around when I first read the word, National Quilting Day? A day to celebrate every thing about quilting that I hold dear? Besides it's a holiday so anyone wanting to tune me out or say "uh hu, yes..." while I rave about fabrics will just have to listen.
What would you do on such a great day? Rather than annoy those close to me with my deepest fabric fantasies, I headed for my sewing machine and settled down with my turtles from my Hawaiian Ocean Appliqué Quilt. I've been having a problem seeing my appliqué through the clear plastic of my "open toed foot". Open toed, my toilet! So I broke it, completely and totally on purpose. It was wonderful. I have never broken a sewing machine foot before, so this was something new.
I did increase the pressure on the presser foot to compensate for the missing plastic, but other than that I was good to go.  I thought for a moment it might be harder to line up without that little bit of plastic, but it took no more time getting used to than when I'd first switched to that foot in the first place, and I could see again! Did anything wonderful happen to you yesterday? I'd love to hear about it.

5 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

A celebration of National Quilting Day - how fun. What kind of machine do you have that you broke the foot for? I pay way too much for feet to randomly break one. I would try the suggestion of cutting a gap in the foot. I read that a while back at the Nernina site I think/

Sand and Sunshine said...

I have a Brother 2001 ULT and the feet are expensive, but popping out the plastic seemed like a good plan at the time. Besides now it works better.

Anonymous said...

Oooooooh! Love the turtles!

Heather Landry said...

I say go for it if it works!!! Your quilt is coming along beautifully!!

MaksiTaksi said...

Wow, I love the turtles!!!