February 11, 2013

Can You Sew a Curved Line with a Straight Stitch?

As some of you may have known I planned to piece the straight lines on the Mandala Center Quilt Block, then applique each ever growing ring.  Well for some reason today I changed my mind and instead decided to put the rings together by building up each wedge - piecing the curves first.  I can see why the directions don't tell you to do it this way.  As it's especially tricky there at the end, but I loving the results.  Besides there is something about that moment when you know each curve is coming out just right and then the wedges sew together until your on the final one and open it...
Pieced Mandala Quilt Center
Have you been up to anything good?  I hope everyone who is covered up under snow has a snow blower to help get themselves uncovered.  Boy did I hate shoveling snow as a teenager!

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Great job, nice matching at the intersections. Looking forward to seeing more of this quilt.

stitchinpenny said...

Didn't understand your instructions, guess I would have to attempt it to understand. Looks great.

QuiltSue said...

That looks great. I love the colours, and the almost transparent look of the second ring.

I would always piece curves with a machine - don't/can't do applique!