December 01, 2009

Spoonflower Order Placed

Yesterday I sent off my first order for Spoonflower, a custom fabric manufacturer.  Perhaps some of you may remember I was making the quilt from the children's artwork, and I decided to have it custom printed on fabric?

Well let me start by saying the world of custom fabric is amazing in how freeing it is.  Sashing?  It can be random, tilted, multicolored, you dream it you can have it!  Once I got past the tracks of my own metal blocks to realize making your own fabric is like flying.  Okay, maybe walking instead of being stuck on a train.


The owl contained hereon is made up of all the children's names, I transformed the lines I drew of the owl to make them that way.  ALL copyrights for original artwork belong exclusively to the children, but that owl is mine.  Don't you just love him?  I kicked down the resolution as well as blacking out the children's names for privacy but you can still see the overall appearance.

Turn around time is about 10 days so I'll be posting later on how everything printed out.

4 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

I do love him. What a great gift. Did you say you will offer it to all the families. I know spoonflower isn't cheap, but they may like to have it anyway. not quilted of course.

Vicki said...

I love your final layout and the owl is great. It adds a great touch to the quilt. You will have to let us know how it actually looks when it arrives back from Spoonflower.

Heather Landry said...

Such a cool idea Liz! I think it looks fantastic!

QuiltSue said...

That's so cleverr. I love the owl.