December 20, 2009

The Quilts of The Great American Teach-In


Yesterday I finished up the second quilt for the second teacher in Jessica's class.  Both panels were printed by Spoonflower.  The first was my radial gradient attempt.  That didn't work out so well and the gradient was lost in a sea of dark navy and purple.  They agreed to reprint it with a solid background for me which while I was terribly disappointed I was grateful to them.  The first was such a mess I was certain I couldn't use it, but the waste not want no person in me decided I should try to salvage the first for the teacher's aid.  That way no matter what happened to the second panel in shipping at least I would have one quilt as I promised the children.


I appliqued a pieced block of the school right over the owl.  It took rather a lot of time to get it just right, including but not limited to the hand stitched playground you see above, so this has a children's novelty backing.

The second one arrived just before I could affix the binding on the first, sadly I was rather burned out at that point so all I could think was UGH more work!  The solid background was darker than I thought it would be.  I had been shooting for a light blueish teal and ended up with more of a primary blue.  I'm so glad I kept it light so the owl would be clear.  I hand quilted around the outlines of the owl which gives him a bit of a fuzzy look.

As I only had one yard of the flannel I'd hoped to use as backing I went ahead and did a diamond on the back.  While neither of the quilts from Spoonflower were what I was looking for the children's crayon art work came out beautifully and I love that it's completely washable.  If I find myself making another quilt of this type I will certainly refer Spoonflower.  Multi color gradients could print quite nicely but a range of a single color I would not recommend.  The owl's eyes are a brown black radial gradient and those turned out just fine.

I'm all done shopping and nearly finished wrapping, and the cold front has just made it's way here, so I'm ready to settle in with a cup of hot coco.  From our home to yours, we wish you a joyous and peaceful holiday.

6 comments:

Vicki said...

You did a fantastic job on the quilts. The modifications to the first one are great, you can't tell that there was a problem with the original printing. I love the qulting around the owl. The teachers are going to be thrilled with their gifts.

stitchinpenny said...

The quilts are great. The teacher and aide will be thrilled to have such a personal gift. I love the school you made it is absolutely amazing. I don't know if it looks like the school or not, but it is beautifully done and gives the impression of a school. Love it.

Marika said...

Let blessed will rush to our heart,
Let this all unite the hands.
On the sweet holiday of Christmas
Be our guest: Goodness, affection!
PEACEFUL MERRY CHRISTMAS

Heather Landry said...

I think the quilts look amazing Liz! I really know that the teacher and the aide will love them!

Aunt Spicy said...

I think they are so special that anyone would love them! What a great gift!

QuiltSue said...

Amazing quilts, I bet they were thrilled with them.