May 16, 2010

How Can You Tell...

How can you tell if a hard-boiled egg is cooked inside without opening it? Now let me preface, I can cook, at least I think I can, I don't burn dinner, and I don't get any complaints, and compliments mostly come in the form of requests for seconds, or even thirds, and of course burps.

That being said, at lunch my daughter told me when she was done she wanted an egg. That means a hard-boiled egg, and as it was her second request in two days I went ahead and started them while I made grilled cheese (have you had it with oregano?). Then we ate our lunch and I went back to my work on the "What Would you Look Like if you Where a Quilt Project," and forgot about the eggs.

My gas stove carries on like a cat in heat if something is boiling, and I have those Lifetime Pots that make the water seal. That being said the eggs didn't hold their water seal (mostly because they were ignored on med-high heat) so instead of how you would normally make eggs by bringing to a boil and then reducing the heat, I never reduced.... Okay truth be told with the water tight pots I could just turn them off and let them sit after they boil but dd always wants them faster than that...

As my thoughts turned to dinner, I'm guessing about a silent 45 minutes later (silent because I'm in the kitchen a mere 7 feet from the stove all this time!) I thought, oh I'll make pasta. Nope, can't do that I boiled all the eggs. Crud. Racing over to the eggs I can see the water had boiled down quite a bit... I added more water and took them off the heat, and I'm going to make DH eat one after dinner. Wont he be thrilled.
They do look okay. One egg has a hairline crack, but that happens sometimes. Other than that they look fine... I am not a fan of eggs. I'm sorry, I know they're great, a complete food and all, but they make me hurl, no kidding, even the smell makes me heave. So trust me the kitchen was silent and smell free. I don't really understand it.

As for the challenge, I'm missing just one fabric I think, and I need to selectively bleach one I bought already. Why in the world did I buy fabric to bleach? Well I figured it would be much to hard to find the white bleached out areas where I wanted them. So instead I found a fabric that was the proper color most everywhere...

My theme will be a single appliqué paisley, for reasons that may or may not become clear to you while I work on it, as the paisley will be on the bottom left of the quilt. I found a beautiful hand detailed heart to balance. The trouble is the heart isn't fabric, it isn't embroidery, and it isn't a pattern. Instead it's a rubber stamp. As I want the final heart to be about 18" square I doubt the stamp comes that big.

So I was working on redrawing the imagine into Illustrator when Mcafee lagged out the entire system with an update and then everything concerning Illustrator and the file I was working in vanished. I've yet to determine if that was the best path anyway so I haven't gone and dug the file (or what is left of it) out of the temporaries.

As for the eggs, aside from a bit of browning on the outside of the white that dd didn't notice they must taste fine because she ate it right up. As for the egg smell I found it trapped within the egg, as soon as I pulled the shell back…

3 comments:

MaksiTaksi said...

Haha, my mother ones forgotten her boiling eggs, for more than 2 hours! She also don't turn down the heat. The water was almost gone and the eggs were black and explodes up till the sealing! My mom heard a big KABOUM and she hurried to the kitchen. She called me immediatly telling me what happened. I never knew that eggs could explode!

Take care.

QuiltSue said...

I'm with you - I HATE eggs, the look, the smell, everything.

stitchinpenny said...

Sorry I have been gone again. I will get back to a normal life soon. I am thinking those eggs were very rubbery. selective bleaching doesn't sound fun to me. The people on line who do it love it I am just not a fan. Good Luck